Type of SmartWork:
Join My Bioblitz and see how many kinds of living things you can find in one place!
Short App Introduction
In this Quest, you see how many kinds of living things can you find in one place. Take photos of them, or use the sketch or text tools to describe them.
In a Bioblitz, you see how many kinds of living things you can find in one place at one time. Sometimes, it's a 24-hour period at a national park. Other times, it's two hours in your schoolyard.
For My Bioblitz, it's up to you to decide where you look and how long you spend.
See how many kinds of each of the following groups you can find:
- woody plants
- other plants
To document them, either take a photo, or use the sketch or text tools to draw or describe them.
Use the Chart to show how many you find in each category. To fit the categories into your chart, combine insects, spiders and their kin into a group called "arthro" (short for "arthropods"). For "reptiles" use "reps" and for "amphibians" use "amph." For "woody plants" use "trees."
Usually it's best to look for animals first, and then plants, because animals will move away the longer you spend in your space.
- Find a good place to look for creatures
- Use the map tool to show your Bioblitz spot
- Look for different kinds of animals
- Document each kind you see with photos or other tools
- See how many kinds of plants you can find
- When you're done, add up the number of each type of creature
- Use the chart tool to show how many of each category you found
- Upload your Backpack
- In your online workspace, make an ebook, presentation or comic to show what you found.
Before you start My Bioblitz, guess how many species you will find.
- Between 1 and 5
- 6 to 10
- 11 to 20
- 20 to 40
- More than 40